Dress with confidence and you will always have a winning look. This is the advice of international model Sanam Gabriel who wants to empower women with catwalk-worthy fashion tips from make-up to clothing and shoes.
“I have always been asked about how I put together an outfit, and what works and what doesn’t. Many women want to learn about make-up or how to put an outfit together, so I designed the workshops to assist women in achieving their personal look,” she said.
“When I turned 16 I pursued it and left Durban for Mumbai for better opportunities.”
She set up a modelling and finishing agency called Sanam Gabriel International in Durban and Mumbai and she offers modelling classes.
She said the main idea behind dressing was to always be confident and comfortable.
1. For any outfit, start off with a base. This is the foundation. Next add an accent item, such as a coat over a dress.
Thereafter add a “pop” which can be an accessory such as a chain or earrings. These items must be carefully considered to pull the outfit together.
2. Download an image of the colour wheel and use it to identify colours that complement each other. Use this to plan outfits and mix and match colours.
3. Identify your face shape and body shape. If you have an oval shape face and do not want to emphasise it, you should stay away from oval shape earrings.
4. When you identify what you do not want to highlight in your features, you can plan an outfit to draw attention away from that part.
5. If you have a rectangular sporty shape with no defined waist, then add a belt to create an illusion of one.
6. Be aware that fabrics play a big part in an outfit. If you do not want to highlight a large tummy, then it’s best to stay away from stretch fabrics.
7. Pay attention to any compliments you receive from people as this will indicate which looks work and which don’t.
8. Once you identify body shape and face, Sanam suggests identifying a celebrity who is similar in shape and size and assess their clothing, as they are often dressed by stylists.
This would give an indication of what type of clothing would best suit the body shape.
– Arthi Gopi